About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Monday 19 June 2017

30 Days to Wellness Challenge Day 19: Participaction or Staying Active


If you grew up in Canada during the 70's and early 80's, then perhaps you will remember the federal government slogan "Participaction."  The slogan was for a government campaign to encourage the populace to take up an active lifestyle.  I never liked the idea of working out.  Too hot, too sweaty, too exhausting, too much need for $100 yoga pants.  And let's face it, who actually makes full use of those horrendously expensive gym memberships?  But as life gets more and more full and stresses and strains begin to weigh on one's shoulders, health and fitness start to fall down the totem pole of priorities when it should become a firm priority in order to compensate for all that stress.  So for Day 19,  this is my easy way of getting more active that isn't going to cost a bundle.  Even though I live in a large metropolitan city, once I was no longer a frugal student, I started taking the car everywhere.  I know!  Here I was, paying exorbitant parking fees and dealing with rush hour traffic, when I could easily have walked the distance.  I started to discover little islands of calm in the city that I never knew existed.  Above is a small circle of green that is enclosed by buildings and not visible from the adjoining roads.  For years, I never knew it was there and yet it is just minutes from where I live.  A few days ago, Monsieur and I had a quick walk after dinner and it felt great!  Normally, we end up comatose on the couch after dinner but it was incredibly refreshing to enjoy the city on a balmy summer evening.  To be fair to myself, we can only have an evening walk in the summer when the days are long because there are certain areas that are just not advisable to venture into at night and aren't particularly pleasant in the daytime either.  I am sure there are lots of other ways to be active that are low impact for those who live in the suburbs such as walking the dog, gardening, mowing the lawn etc.  Please leave your suggestions in the comments!

Subscribe and never miss a post!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...