About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Sunday 26 January 2014

Put A Horse On It

Did you know that 2014 is the Year of the Horse?  I picked up a couple pairs of vintage onyx horse head bookends recently and am in love. I had been keeping an eye out for them for ages but whenever I found them, they were usually chipped or there was just a sad, lonely single.  I think I have to stop at 2 pairs because a third makes (another) collection!


I love the translucent striations in the stone and how each piece is unique. The second pair has striations on the horizontal instead of vertical with dark tan accents.


The only problem with bookends is that, when they are fulfilling their destiny as bookends, you can't really see them in their full glory.


You see?  All you see is the front of their, albeit handsome, heads.  Do you have bookends on your bookshelves or in your decor?  How do you arrange them?  I was pondering this dilemma (I know there are bigger, more important issues in the world but it is a dilemma) when I came across 47 Park Avenue.  OMG! The extreme fabulousness!

via 47 Park Avenue

I am entranced with the hits of pink. Bold without being sickly sweet.  Do you notice the horse heads on the mantel?  I love the depth and layers on the mantelscape.   Lining things in.a.row. is a trap that I fall into over and over again.  I am really trying these days to be a bit more brave and daring with my decor.


Not as outrageously fabulous as 47 Park Avenue, admittedly, but at least now I can enjoy the horse heads more fully.  I have quite a few thrifted vintage knick knacks on that tallboy dresser including a Royal Krona of Sweden owl and a modernist Hoselton angel that I thrifted recently.  The gigantic round eyes of the owl make me laugh and I like to imagine that the angel is watching over me.  Coincidentally, Pantone announced the colour of the year as Radiant Orchid.  So quite by chance, I've managed to cover the bases on two trends this year!  Are you planning on incorporating any purple in your decor this year!  Or do you stay away from trends?

This week I'm linking up with A Stroll Thru Life, Remnant PDXSir Thrift A LotA Living Space, and The Thrifty Groove.



6 comments:

Meg said...

Love the bookends so much I think
I would consider just using them on display without books!!! xxx

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

I have a "thing" for horse bookends, too - especially the onyx ones. I always turn them sideways so you can see the horses' profiles, even though I think they were meant to face forward. Nice little collection you have going!

Mid Mod Mom said...

I never use bookends for their intended purpose! They are usually too beautiful to be lost on a shelf.

Sir Thrift-A-Lot said...

No purple here - I don't really decorate, let alone follow trends.

& I only see these bookends beat up and chipped. Glad you got a nice set!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love these, they are gorgeous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Anny said...

I don't have any bookends because I always find just one also. Its the weirdest thing - where are all the matches!? I love yours though and that little owl too. I was just looking at it on eBay the other day!

I love looking at homes with black walls but I would never be so bold in my own house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...