About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Sunday 29 September 2013

Vintage Lamp Crush

I have another obsession!  Awful, I know.  As the title to this post suggests, it’s vintage lamps.  I love lamps because they serve multiple purposes.  They can be statement decor pieces and, depending on the type of lamp, they can provide different types of light such as ambient, mood or task lighting.  Total justification for snatching up a cool vintage lamp, right?  I picked up this brass, mod lamp recently.




On its own, it has a very Studio 54 look to it.  I know that, styled right, it would look fabulous.  Do you follow Emily Henderson’s blog?  She uses of lot of brass elements paired with navy.  This lamp with a navy velvet sofa would look fantastic.  Here is a Jonathan Adler sofa that I am drooling over:


I would love a navy velvet sofa.  The problem is that I don’t have a navy velvet sofa.  I fall in love with a cool lamp, can't bear to leave it behind, then bring it home only to realize it doesn't fit with my existing decor.  Blue can read as cool but paired with the warmth of brass or gold it has a timeless classic feel to it.  Here is an inspirational photo from Coastal Living which pairs crisp navy and white bedding with brass wall lamps and accent pieces.




I do have touches of blue around my home so you can get an idea of blue with brass. Here you see I have a vintage Blenko bowl.



I have moved this lamp around from room to room and am beginning to think that it may end up joining its unwanted brothers and sisters in what is beginning to be known as “the lamp graveyard” aka as the bottom of a closet.  What do you think?  Consign to the graveyard or keep it?  How would you style it?  Do you have any information on the maker?  However, all is not lost as I picked up another vintage lamp.  It’s a Wildwood lamp.  When I first saw it, my immediate reaction was that it was so not my style.


It is completely the opposite in style from the MCM brass lamp.  But I love it!  The craftsmanship is incredible.  Funnily enough, I found the harp and finial under a pile of books nearby.  So glad I spotted them.  The finial is made of brass and is really heavy and substantial.  It would have been tricky trying to find a good quality replacement.  Part of the fun of thrifted finds is being able to play around with different styles without the guilt of huge pricetags.  


In keeping with the Chinoiserie theme of the lamp, I switched out the Blenko bowl for a vintage glass paperweight that is sitting on a Chinoiserie style stand.  You'll notice that the paperweight has inky blue swirls in it.  Please excuse the shade.  It’s a Pottery Barn shade that I pulled off another lamp as a short term fix.  I am thinking the lamp would look really dramatic with a red shade or a dark blue shade.  What do you think?   Should I go with a simple white drum shade, stick with the one that’s on it or go with a coloured shade?  Do you have any similar obsessions?


6 comments:

Mid Mod Mom said...

Do I have similar obsessions? Are you kidding? I have a lamp obsession of my own. I love them all: vintage, modern, new... it is bad! I have been good and I have sold some of them though.
Regarding your question I love the brass lamp! It is so cool and streamlined. If I were to keep one of them, the brass lamp would be it.

Paulette said...

I'm also voting for the brass lamp, I like the clean streamlined look of this lamp.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog.

Jeannie Marie said...

I believe someone I knew once owned that Blenko bowl. I prefer the Wildwood lamp. But the clean lines of the brass are awesome. I'm no help whatsoever.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love them all, especially the brass, how fun. A little retro is always great. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Very cool lamps! I only seem to find ugly one's when I shop! Thanks for sharing your finds at TTF!

Unknown said...

I loved the the 1st one vintage lamp because it can helpful for both features that is variety as well as lighting color...love it..Thanks for sharing..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...