About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Sunday 3 February 2013

Coming Full Circle

Have you ever felt a responsibility to do something, for whatever reason wasn't able to discharge that responsibility and felt the burden of that responsibility weighing on your shoulders like an albatross?  I did, for many, many years.  As this is a thrifting post, how does this relate to thrifting?  Let me backtrack a little.  Twenty-five years ago, a friend of my father gave him a figurine of three owls.  When my parents moved to the States, I offered to help by having a garage sale at their house to clear out unwanted things.  I don't think my mother liked the figurine very much as she plucked it off the mantel and gave it to me to put into the garage sale.  When my father found out, he's wasn't thrilled to say the least.  I felt so, so guilty about happened.  Back then, there was no eBay or Etsy so I had no idea how to replace it.  I didn't know who the maker was and, when eBay came on the scene, various searches were fruitless.  Then guess what I saw when I was out thrifting?


I couldn't believe my eyes!  And the feeling of relief after such a long search was indescribable.  It occurred to me that my father has quite likely forgotten the event as he's a very organized person who doesn't believe in accumulating clutter.  A few thoughts have crossed my mind about the futility of guilt but that is a discussion for another post and another day.



It has a copyright stamp on it of 1972 so no surprise that it took a while for me to find it.  I admit that it is quite ugly.  In fact, I can't even say that it is jolie-laide as the French would describe something that is so peculiarly ugly as to be pretty.  In this case, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, right now,  looking at it, I feel light as air as if I've come full circle in life.  I can't wait for Father's Day to come around to give it to my father.  Speaking of coming full circle, I did thrift something just for myself and which is 180 degrees opposite the owls in terms of beauty.


Yes, my first Nuutajarvi piece with the label still attached!  As the label still says Nuutajarvi, I assume that this is an older piece before the company merged with Iittala.  In any event, I la-la-love it.  The pattern is "Dewdrop" and what could be a lovelier name?  And really, there is something so wondrously pretty about the concentric little drops of glass and the way they sparkle in the sun.



Do you have a thrifting story to share where you found something after a long, long search?  Something that has been on your thrifting bucket list for what seems like forever?  Or maybe you are still searching?  Let me know so that we can celebrate (or commiserate) together!

16 comments:

SixBalloons said...

Great story! Please tell us all about your father's reaction later!

Mid Mod Mom said...

Fantastic story, hope your father likes it. If anything it helped you get rid of some weight. right? the plate is absolutely gorgeous!

Mid Mod Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I too would love to hear how your father will react!

I've had that happen with books I've looked for; some for research, some books remembered vaguely from childhood and meant as presents. When they have finally shown up, it's with a heart-singing pleasure that I've plucked them from the shelf!

Amy Lavender Harris said...

[That last comment's from me, Amy, at Acts of Salvage.]

Unknown said...

Great story! How nice for you not to have to wonder if you will ever find it again! Love the plate!

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

The glass plate is stunning, and I love your story about the owls! I believe that if you look hard enough, you WILL find everything on your thrifting wish list eventually. :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I don't have anything that I've been looking for, for a long time, but I do keep a running list in my head of what I hope to find. I'm not always lucky, but I try to be patient while these things take their time finding their way to me. : ) Tureens are on my list right now.

Melissa said...

The glass plate amazing! I've never seen anything like it. I kind of like the owl statue. :)

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Aww...what a sweet story. I do have a similar story. We inherited a ruffled green glass compote from my husbands grandmother. One day one of the boys threw a ball (a no-no in this house)and it broke. I've been looking for a similar one ever since.

Have a great week!
Deborah

Curtains in My Tree said...


So glad you found the owls for your Dad , I bet he has forgotten all about them?? let us know when you give them to him
Thanks for coming over to my blog

janice

Heirloom treasures said...

You know I was thinking maybe those owls found you and not you them. Maybe they are the ones you gave away. Wouldn't that be a full circle.
I have found things I've been on the look out for many times and can't believe my luck. It's so exciting when it happens. I love your glass plate too,the sparkle adds to it's beauty. x PS thank you for your visit and sweet comment

Cottage and Broome said...

I love the story. I remember when owls were so popular in the 70's, they are popular again, another circle. I love that dewdrop plate. High on my bucket list would be a vintage pink typewriter but I'm not sure want to pay the price. One when on ebay for over $300. So if you see one for around$50 let me know. Thanks for stopping in, Laura

Anikó said...

congrats on finding those owls! i can imagine how good it must feel.

a really nice example of finnish glass there! that particular design was designed by Oiva Toikka for Nuutajärvi in 1964 and they continued this design until 1988. just in case you didn't know :)

regards from Finland!
Aniko from idleneedle.blogspot.com

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great story! I will be curious to hear what your Dad says when you gift it to him....
Thanks so much for stopping by!

Hugs,
Debbie

Ivy and Elephants said...

Wonderful post! I hope your father likes it, .... so meant to be.
Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Hugs,
Patti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...